In 1798, the Swiss Confederacy was occupied by French troops, leading to the proclamation of the Helvetic Republic. Bernese Aargau became the Canton of Aargau, and the rest of the present-day canton formed the Canton of Baden. In 1803, after the Act of Mediation, the two cantons merged to create a single Canton of Aargau. The valley of Fricktal, ceded to the Helvetic Republic by Austria in 1802 at France’s insistence, was temporarily a separate canton but was merged into the greater Canton of Aargau on 9 March 1803.
Canton Aargau has over 630’000 inhabitants, a quarter of which are citizens of other countries. It covers an area of 872 square miles, and the capital city is Aarau. The most important towns are Aarau, Baden, Brugg, Wohlen, Bremgarten, Zofingen, and Rheinfelden.
The Aquae Helvetiae of the Romans. It is an acknowledged fact that in Roman times the main military road of Helvetia led through Baden connecting the thermal spring with Vindonissa(the modern Windisch), the great Helvetian fortress, six miles away. The military camp of Vindonissa was only a few miles from the eastern border of Roman Germany.
In the year 1872, beyond the Roman road in Baden, in the direction of Vindonissa, the foundations of a large connected block of buildings were discovered, in an excellent state of preservation, which, when fully excavated, revealed fourteen apartments of various sizes from 10 to 88 feet in length.
The peculiar architecture of these apartments, the numerous medical and surgical instruments and utensils found there, the proximity of the before-mentioned, fortress, where Roman soldiers were stationed, the thermal springs and the excellent arrangement already existing for their use, all these facts suggest that the building served as a Roman military hospital.
Later on in the Middle Age, the little thermal spring, which is picturesquely situated on the River Limmat, was a fortress, and down to the 15th Century often the residence of the Counts of Hapsburg.
Brugg & Windisch
The charming little town of Brugg and the village of Windisch are located in the heart of the canton of Aargau, 30 km from Zurich at the confluence of three rivers: the Reuss, Limmat and Aare. The one-time Roman town of Vindomssa (Windisch) with an amphitheater and ruins of the Castle of Hapsburg the cradle of the former Austrian Imperial family. The Castle of Hapsburg dates back to the year 1020. The tower, with walls eight feet thick, is the only part now standing which belonged to the original structure; in it, the room said to have been occupied by Rudolph of Hapsburg is still shown.
940 feet a/s is renowned as a delightful Spa with excellent saline springs, the strongest of the kind on the European continent. It is a quaint old town with walls and towers dating back to the feudal days of the Middle Ages.